[T3] Gasoline in the oil pan

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 21 19:04:20 PDT 2011

On 21 Jun 2011 at 10:27, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I was always curious about two things:
>
> 1.  Because there was a "strong odor" of fuel, we pushed  the car to an open
> area, away from the fuel island.  Was I unduly anxious when I turned the key
> to the Start position?   Because I was.  ...

Probably not a problem, because the explosive range of gasoline/air
is rather narrow. We also know that you can have a fair amount of gas
in the oil from other causes and still not have an explosion.

> 2.  Even though we drained the gas/oil mix, was there enough contaminated
> "mix", left in the crankcase, to affect the lubricity?

I wouldn't think so, particularly since he didn't run the engine, so
the fluid in the passages and bearings was still just oil.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org