[T3] Cylinder Performance

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:33:52 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:02:17 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Cylinder Performance
>
> On 21 Jun 2011 at 21:06, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > > From: jadney at vwtype3.org
>
> > > On 21 Jun 2011 at 16:01, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > My new ones were fine in length.  I think it was just an accident, as it
> > was about the length of the new's number three. ;)
>
> Are you saying that it was the OLD #1 that was short? If that's the
> case, you would probably have to buy at least a new #1 wire and OG
> dist cap end, unless you can pry the crimped end off the old one and
> recrimp it.

What I am calling new is the new ones anyone can buy at a F.L.A.P.S..
Their wire is a bit longer than the rebuilt from you; just found it a
bit interesting. ;)

How are the rebuilt ones have the wire replaced?

[...]

> > > A 5-pin is never an appropriate replacement for a 4-pin. That just
> > > doesn't work. If you have your original 4-pin it is probably fine.
> > > I've seen worn out 5-pins, but never a worn out 4-pin.
> > >
> > We have been down this road.  I used it for quite awhile, along with
> > others, so not sure of the validation of that id does not work. ;|
>
> You can install it, force a connector onto 4 of the 5 pins, and drive
> the car, but the pinouts of those 2 versions don't match up such that
> the pin functions will be correct. So, yes, you can do it, but it
> won't be doing the job it was meant to do.

So good then I have quit using it. ;)

> > I am confused then with this statement: "If you see any sign of
> > decreased resistance anywhere in the travel of the throttle, your TVS
> > may be worn out."  So, I guess I do not understand the instructions
> > clearly as all I want to do is check adjustment, not set it.
>
> That part of the instructions is for determining whether your TVS is
> WORTH adjusting. If your TVS is worn out (something that seems only
> to happen to the 5-pin version) then it should be replaced if it
> fails that test.
>
> If you pass that test, you can move on to the later part of the
> instructions that tell you how to adjust your TVS.

I seem to have instructions then testing...  I am somehow not getting
exactly what you are trying to do.  Guess it is because of my Germanic
background over analyzing and growing up wit a Sigma Pi Sigma that is
a mechanical engineer. ;) l.o.l.

> > "[...]slowly turn the TVS CCW until the VOM jumps from high to low
> > resistance."  "Make sure the VOM goes to low resistance every time
> > the pedal comes back to the idle position."  So, why do I have no
> > resistance and no change in resistance, i.e. always 0 Ohms?
>
> If you're now quoting from the adjustment section, this would mean
> that your TVS is out of adjustment. Since you're using the wrong TVS,
> however, this is irrelevant, since it will not work correctly with
> your '71 FI system. You'd be better off just disconnecting it.

Not sure how to make this clear, so only have the option of capitals...

I AM NOT USING A FIVE PIN CURRENTLY.  I ONLY MENTIONED THE FIVE PIN
BECAUSE OF THE NEED FOR A PROPPER FOUR PIN.  I AM ATTEMPTING TO ADJUST
THE FOUR PIN, AND WHILE DOING SO, NOT GETTING THE RESULTS STATED IN THE
WRITE-UP.

I DO NOT KNOW WHICH SECTION YOU ARE CALLING WHAT.  I WOULD COPY THE
STATEMENT, DOCUMENT SEARCH, THEN PASTE IT IN AND SEE WHERE IT IS, PLEASE.

SO, I DO HAVE A WARN UNIT?  SHOULD I UNPLUG IT THEN?

> > "Connect your VOM across the 2nd and 3rd pin of the TVS. Slowly open
> > the throttle. You should see the VOM change from high to low
> > resistance several times as the throttle opens but not as it closes.
> > Repeat this test with the VOM connected to the 2nd and 4th pin."
> >
> > I got this to some degree, but no not recall for sure that I got 0
> > ohms when closing.
>
> You are not supposed to see the zero ohms when closing. That's what
> the word "not" means in the instructions above.

I DO NOT SEE A STATEMENT "NOT TO SEE 0 OHMS", BUT THANK YOU FOR
CLARIFYING THAT I SHOULD NOT.

> > "Finally, set your VOM to its highest resistance scale and connect it
> > across the 2 bottom pins of the TVS. Slowly open and close the
> > throttle several times while you watch the VOM. If you see any sign of
> > decreased resistance anywhere in the travel of the throttle, your TVS
> > may be worn out."
> >
> > This one got all sorts of strange readings.
>
> Not a good sign, but you don't want this TVS anyway.

Oops, left the caps lock on...  Sorry about that.

So I was right in my thinking something was odd about this T.V.S.; guess
sometimes I am right. ;) l.o.l.

> > > Of course it's possible that your 4-pin was damaged by someone who
> > > damaged it internally. That certainly happens, but there's no excuse
> > > for it.
> > >
> > I believe I opened this one up, and all looked fine.  I open them to
> > set the adjustment according to another fellows method, but wanted to
> > compare the results.
>
> There's no harm in opening it up and looking inside.

Good to know.  Still have one to resolder somewhere around here, so
have had a good look at what is what, and what can be damaged.  I
find it fun to open them, as they all seem to have variations but the
same Bosch number. ;/

> I have several good used 4-pin TVSs, as well as some new ones. New
> ones are pricey.

What are your prices?

Thank you,
Adriel