[T3] Thermostat Air Flap

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 13:57:12 PDT 2011

Thanks for the thermostat and air flap pics, and the advice and all.

I found, to my surprise, that my defunct 73 indeed had a thermostat in it. So, to replace the one that was fully extended and said to be broken, I took it out and put it in the 71 (w/ 72 engine).   It took up about 3/4 or more of the space in the bracket.

But, then I noticed that the one I started with had 15 rings.  The one that I got from the 72  that's in the car now, has 10 rings.    What's that difference about?  Maybe the 15 ring was isn't broken but is just for some other car or other assembly?

In any case, it's still not right.  I cannot adjust the flap rod to its pivot so that the flap is only open that fraction of an inch.   It's open more than 3/4s of the way...and the flap rod is attached to the pivot at the last tippy end of the rod.  No more room to adjust.

So, there it is all together...but apparently not functional...unless really cold weather will shrink the thermostat down about 3/4 s of an inch.

 The spring had to be shortened just a bit to keep some tension...and it's hooked up right...snug on its hook up-spot, snugged in next to that "broken" notch in the bracket.

  I don't think I have the assembly meant for this car.   Are there pics of different assemblies, and mention of what car they're for...and what the rod and thermostat measurements are?