[T3] fuel tank leak

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 20:15:58 PDT 2011

In a message dated 6/29/2011 11:05:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dhbadeer at gmail.com writes:

Yes, I  did clean out all of the old material.  No, I did not use a new
washer  because I was told by the parts supplier who has worked on VWs for
30
years  that the crushable ring on the end of the sock was sufficient to
seal
it.  Plus, the Bentley does not show a washer in  there.

So, I have to take it all apart and do it again, right?  Of  course, I've
got
about 6 gallons of fuel in  there.

I bought a new "outlet" kit from Wolfsburg West, and it came with a washer.
 Everyone that I've taken apart has had a washer there as well. I know
about a  month or so ISP west was out of washers for the outlet pipe. :O
The washer seals the tank outlet to the outlet pipe. Without the sealing
washer, you'll get a leak. Just my 2 cents from working on Type 3s since
1989.  ;^)

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)