[T3] A new T-34 owner?

jaransont3 at comcast.net jaransont3 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 05:46:44 PDT 2011

Jill and I went our to dinner Saturday night and decided to take the Ghia. It was the first time I had a chance to really drive it at highway speeds. What a sweet driving and handling car. Feels very different than Sophy. We had a great time and I enjoyed driving the Ghia.

However, as we neared home, I noticed it getting harder and harder to shift. By the time we pulled into our driveway the clutch would not fully disengage.

So, Sunday morning I decided to tear into it. It was nothing obvious like a frayed clutch cable, although that is still a consideration at the pedals. I had previously noticed some throw-out bearing noise so I decided to drop the engine and check it out.

I am glad I did. Found a bunch of little stuff that needs attending to. First, one of the wire clips for the throw-out bearing was off. Easy fix and the throw bearing seems fine. I re-arranged the fuel line routing from my first attempt. I replaced the short piece of flex line between the manifolds and the carb balance pipe. That is when I noticed that the two small pieces of tin around the manifolds were missing. Whoever rebuilt this engine for the previous owners did know type 3s and didn't pay that much attention. Fortunately I had a set of those tins in my stash.

Removed the right carb and loosened the manifold to sneak the tin in place and decided I better check the manifold to head gasket, another common mistake people make. Sure enough, they had used the type 1 metal gaskets with the built in air leak from the extra hole. Cut myself a couple of new, proper type 3 gaskets and got the right hand side all buttoned back up before I ran out of good light.

Still need to redo the left hand side carb. Swap in the proper type 3 distributor. Check the clutch and clutch cable. Clean up the engine bay a bit. Change out the rear soft trans mounts. Replace some of the flex hoses for the heating system. And get the engine back in in time for the Motor Muster this weekend at Greenfield Village.

Later,

John Jaranson

www.carartbyjohn.com