[T3] More on the 71 ignition switch.

Marklist marklist at healeyopolis.com
Tue Jun 14 16:52:28 PDT 2011

I went to the Junkyards today.  Not a single type 3 and only two bugs.
Where have all the air cooled VW's gone?

Anyway I got the big grey lock/switch housing out of one of the bugs
with very little blood loss.  It looks the same.  According to a couple
of threads on theSamba I can use a bug switch.  I have the connectors
and crimpers.  Since the one currently in my car is only sketchy, not
totally failing I want to have the new one ready to drop in, using the
meter to test it on my desk first.  The problem is that the tumbler is
in and I don't have the key to remove it the way the manuals tell you to
do so.

How do I remove the tumbler without the key?