[T3] Gasoline in the oil pan

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:27:58 PDT 2011

>Don't understand how gas-diluted oil wouldn't heat up >engine....being that
the gas would reduce the lubrication. No?

>Any tricks to be sure that IS gas in the oil?? Will it catch fire >easily.
If I take some out and put a match to it? ? But would plain >oil do that as
well? ? ? Smell?...can't tell.?? I'd need one of those >Wine Sniffing
experts or something.
*
Several years ago, my brother was visiting.  Because he flew to my area, he
didn't have a car to use.  I "loaned" him my T3 Variant, for a few days.

Being a "good brother"(?) ... he decided to fill up the gas tank, before
returning it to my home.  In his defense, it was nighttime and the gas
station wasn't real well lit.

Being ignorant of where the gas tank fuel door and "in-the-glove-box" fuel
door release latch was located, he opened the rear hatch; saw the oil dip
stick cap and proceeded to pump gas.  Into the oil pan.  UGH!

He had only pumped a small amount of fuel and realized his mistake.  He did
NOT start the car and called me.  That was a good thing.

I took a drain pan and fresh oil TO the filling station.  We drained the
contents of the pan and properly disposed of the contaminated oil.  Refilled
the crankcase with 5.7 pints of oil and started the car.

I was always curious about two things:

1.  Because there was a "strong odor" of fuel, we pushed  the car to an open
area, away from the fuel island.  Was I unduly anxious when I turned the key
to the Start position?   Because I was.  ... and
2.  Even though we drained the gas/oil mix, was there enough contaminated
"mix", left in the crankcase, to affect the lubricity?

Gary -- '69 Variant, MT, FI
Lake Geneva, WI
*