[T3] Cars 2 Squareback mention

Jacob Hoffman jacob at jacobhoffman.com
Thu Jun 30 07:45:53 PDT 2011

I just took my 3 year old son to the theater for the first time yesterday to watch Disney's Cars 2. He loved it. I enjoyed it too, especially when Mater, the tow truck character, mentioned my car!

In this movie, Mater unwittingly helps some Brittish spy cars save the day with his encyclopedic knowledge of old cars and car parts. The spys use a code phrase to identify themselves to each other. "The Carmen Ghia has no radiator." To which the other spy says, "Of course not, it's air-cooled."

One of the spys mistakes Mater for an American spy, and tests him with this call-and-response.  Mater replies correctly, (forwarding the plot) but goes on to say, "...but that's not your only air-cooled cars. Besides the Beetle, of course, ya got yer Type 3 Squareback with its pancake motor. And then ya got yer Type 2 Transporters, like my buddy, Filmore..."

I don't know why Mater mentions the Squareback specifically, instead of Type 3's in general, but I think it's clear that one of the writers, or technical advisers for the film is an air-cooled Volkswagen fan.  Cool!

Jacob Hoffman
1971 FI AT Squareback, Fritz