[T3] Cutting Ferrules from Injectors

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Thu Jun 30 09:52:02 PDT 2011

Back in the '80s my retired factory instructor/local mechanic used to remove
the woven hose nubs from even the new injectors, saying they tended to leak
after a short while.  Perhaps this was poor rubber, or maybe a gasoline
additive that attacked that particular rubber formulation; he didn't say.
He used a hose he referred to as neoprene, though again I wasn't asking too
many questions, and I'm not clear if he meant pure neoprene, or maybe hose
with a liner or jacket of neoprene.  It had internal reinforcement, and no
cloth jacket.  It had ribs running lengthwise on the outside, and seemed a
little thicker in OD.  It was supposed to last much longer than any others
available.  If I can find a piece of it in my stash, and if it has any
identifying markings, I'll post it up.  I can't find it at FLAPS, and no one
seems to have heard of it now.  I never had it leak in the 10 years or so I
drove the cars back then.  I replaced all of it when I brought my fastback
out of storage, so I may not have any left.

-Phil