[T3] Steering/Access Hatch

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Mar 2 09:35:54 PST 2011

My fastback is flush, my squareback sat high by about 1/4 inch.  Never
figured out why.

Steering adjustment is critical to driving enjoyment and long steering box
life.  A few pointers:
1) Try to find center on the gear.  Some boxes have a marked ring or scribe
mark on the input shaft. It should point straight up.  You can't depend on
the steering wheel to be centered, as most cars have had it wrongly
repositioned on the center splines.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/343793.jpg
This matters because the box is designed to have minimal play at center, and
more play as you turn it off-center.  So if you tighten it all the way with
it off-center, it will pinch at center and wear out faster.  If you find no
mark, try centering the box at the midpoint from full left to full right
(count turns of the steering wheel).  Center the steering wheel at that box
center point by moving it on the splines and center bolt.  Then center the
wheels with an alignment (either yourself or at the shop).
2) Always lube the box and make sure your tie rods and ball joints are in
good shape before adjusting.  Also adjust your wheel bearings.  Do all this
with the front axle on jackstands-- unloaded, in other words.
3) Adjust the box per Bentley, including turning the steering wheel to the
side for some parts of the process.
4) When done, and while still on jackstands, gently turn the steering wheel
with a finger or two slowly side to side, watching out for pinching at any
point.  If you find any, back off the top screw about 1/16th turn at a time.
5) Road test and check toe-in as well as steering wheel center.  Adjust only
at tie rods, not splines after this point.
-Phil