[T3] Steering/Access Hatch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 2 13:00:23 PST 2011

On 2 Mar 2011 at 8:04, Tim Keohane wrote:

> 1st, The access hatch (to the engine) in my type 3 sits high/proud by
> about 3/8 inch. It seems improbable it was designed that way. It does
> seem to latch and seal securely so I'm perplexed. Is it supposed to be
> flush?, therefore requiring a seal change and the hinge tabs and twist
> latches some flexing for a proper fit, or am I fussing about nothing?

I don't know why, but this seems to be rather common. It's possible that the
mat around the hatch has compressed over time, but I really don't remember what
they looked like when new.

> 2nd, I'm in need of tightening the steering, and the Bently manual
> cautions about over tightening. Is that a "feel" scenario, as
> described?, and are there "cautions" not mentioned in the Bently? I'd
> rather not take out my steering box.

Steering gear adjustments are quite touchy. You really need to read the Bentley
closely and follow their guidance. You can get by without all the special
tools, but you should be careful not to overtighten things, because that can
lead to rapid wear and failure of the bearings in there.

Before you go too far with this, make sure the play you feel is actually in the
gearbox. There are other sources, like loose wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball
joints, and the rubber flex coupler, as well as just in the tires.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, WI USA