[T3] Re/ Car Runs Great, but Why?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 15:19:43 PST 2011

Odd that the three Intake temp sensors I have are different.    One, with silver shaft, is longer than the other two.  One of the shorter others has brass colored shaft, the other silver metallic.    Is that about fashion?...or function?

"Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Re/ Car Runs Great, but Why?

On 2 Mar 2011 at 14:23, J. Jonik wrote:

> OK ?? I just Called that mechanic.? He said that the head temp sensor
> is doing the work and not to worry about the Intake temp sensor being
> unattached.? He said that there would not be excessive fuel
> consumption. ??

Yes, the head sensor does most of the temp compensation. Since it's
running well with the second sensor disconnected, we know that it's
not running excessively rich. What we don't know, and what you're
still trying to figure out, is why is it lean with the sensor
disconnected.

> He said the sensor (and the other two I tried) was probably Shorted
> Out, and that it will be hard to find a replacement anyway. ?

I've never seen one of those sensors shorted out. You can test it
easily with an Ohmmeter. There's very little about its resistance
value that requires precision.

If you measure yours and find that it's actually shorted, I have a
handfull of them here, but you don't need one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org