[T3] Re/ Car Runs Great, but Why?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 3 16:58:39 PST 2011

On 3 Mar 2011 at 15:19, J. Jonik wrote:

> Odd that the three Intake temp sensors I have are different.    One, with
> silver shaft, is longer than the other two.  One of the shorter others has
> brass colored shaft, the other silver metallic.    Is that about
> fashion?...or function?

There were actually 2 different such sensors. If you can still see the part
number on yours, some will have an A suffix and some will not. The original
part was made for 68-9 cars where the end stuck in the crankcase, while the A
part was made for the later cars where the sensor was in the IAD. It's possible
that the early one had slightly different construction that was compatable with
hot oil, and I know that one of them was longer than the other.

In practice, however, they work interchangably, and it's certainly possible
that they came with slightly different finishes at different times, or thru
different distribution networks.

Others here have apparently seen ones that have gone open, but I never have.
It's certainly possible, but it's got to be rare.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, WI USA