[T3] water problems

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 18:11:14 PST 2011

It can still get in the engine air intake vents and through the spot welded
seams as described when parked.  Look under the rear seat for any signs that
it's getting in that end.  Is the area inside the front footwell vents
rusting yet?

I agree about the door seals being unlikely culprits - the door bottom is
outside the waterbar on the sill anyway.  Unless it fills due to blocked
door drains and spills over the door framing irself, it doesn't get inside
very easily.

I can't see how it can get from the air box to the heater vent, but those
pipes need to be draining anyway.

Water getting behind the screen seal can build up quite a pressure and get
inside over the metal lip. Seal the top and sides - leave the bottom to
allow water out.  Use a thin transparent leak sealer - not a messy black
goo.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club