[T3] Rust on the brain 72 FB

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 5 20:58:54 PST 2011

On 5 Mar 2011 at 17:54, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> As we continue to transfer the wiring from the parts car to my
> Fastback.  We removed the ECU and noticed rust on the bottom.  I know
> this one works as we were able to get it to pulse the injectors and
> cycle the fuel pump on and off. Is this something I should be concerned
> with? Is there any way to patch or repair it?  Here are some photos of
> the rust on it.

Facebook wants me to log in, so I haven't seen your photos, but
external rust in usually not a problem on those boxes. You might try
some silver spray Rustoleum just to make it look nice. Don't clog up
the drain holes on the bottom; they're there to make sure
condensation can always get out.

If you're concerned, slide the end cover off, pull the plug and take
a look inside.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org