[T3] start issues....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 13 20:21:53 PDT 2011

On 12 Mar 2011 at 21:58, Ted Nehring wrote:

> Recent e-mails mentioned a "Ford" solenoid fix..Can anyone provide an
> illustration of the wiring for this install ?

Routing the solenoid current thru the ignition switch means a long
wire run and a rather heavy current thru that switch. You can
alleviate this by installing a relay under the back seat.

Wire the relay so that its coil current is the only current that
passes thru the ignition switch and the solenoid current goes
directly from the battery to the relay and then to the solenoid. This
reduces the wear on the ignition switch and minimizes the distance
the medium solenoid current has to run.

You just need to pick a relay that will pass the solenoid current
without damage. A Ford solenoid relay will work, but it's really
overkill. OTOH, most other small relays won't have sufficient
capacity. I think there are some rather small automotive relays that
are rated at 50 A continuous that should be fine. You should probably
add a freewheeling diode across the relay coil terminals to minimize
inductive arcing at the ignition switch.

The beauty of this solution is that it prevents damage to the
ignition switch. You may still have to replace the relay
occasionally, but that should always be cheap and easy.

OTOH, I've never had to do this to any of my cars. (Knock on wood.)
You're most likely to have trouble if you have to crank the engine a
lot to get it to start.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org