[T3] start issues....

Hal Sullivan tristessa at tristessa.us
Sun Mar 13 21:29:37 PDT 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 8:21 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> OTOH, most other small relays won't have sufficient
> capacity. I think there are some rather small automotive relays that
> are rated at 50 A continuous that should be fine.

I've been using a German Bosch 40A unit (think it came from an Audi
5000) as a starter relay on my Westfalia camper for 7 years with no
problems, and it's been a daily-driver for 5 of those 7 years.  SR17X
starter, manual transmission, and (most recently) a 1.8L GTI engine
with 8.5:1 compression.  Since the local pick-a-part yards charge ~
$1-2 for small relays like that (when they bother charging anything),
I've usually got a half-dozen potential spares in the garage at any
given time.