[T3] Gauges

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 16:37:24 PDT 2011

In a message dated 3/17/2011 10:13:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org writes:

> How  would fuel affect the temperature of the engine?
>
> Thank  you,
> Adriel

Cheap or low octane fuel causes pre-igniting or  pinging which can cause
an engine to over heat.

Dennis  Stiefel
Rainsville,AL, USA

Thank You Dennis. This is exactly what I was going to say. I found this
out, after eating number 4 exhaust valve in 2 different engines that I had in
my  76 bug. After I rebuilt the OE cased engine (it only broke the cam in
half (when  the valve head passed thru the piston), rather than tearing up the
case like the  2nd engine did), I made myself a promise not to use anything
less than 91 octane  gas in my air cooled VWs.  I haven't had an issue with
it happening since I  made that decision back in 1995.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)