[T3] Gauges

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 20:28:42 PDT 2011

Yea, the Heads Russ did for me are on the car now, he really saved the day
last year by getting my heads done quickly, in fact, one was cracked and he
knew I needed them quickly for the invasion and plucked a nice matched pair
out of his stash...I wouldn't have made it to Carthage without Russ!

My valve seat had never moved before that, those heads were rock solid.  It
did keep sinking in for another year or so after that but eventually stopped
sinking in, but I did the valve job anyway as those heads were pushing 70K.

Keith

On 18 Mar 2011 at 19:19, Keith Park wrote:

> Ahh, but BOTH of us took out an exhaust seat in the desert,

True, I'd forgotten about that, but in my defense, that seat had been
wearing ever since I got the car. I'd noticed the symptom, but didn't
have enough experience/miles on the car to be sure it was really a
problem. I just managed to convince myself that it would be okay, but
during that caravan the clearance kept growing on that one valve, and
I couldn't ignore it any longer.

I was worried that it was a valve problem and I really didn't want to
lose a valve. Turned out to be the seat, and while this is harder to
fix, it wasn't going to cause any big problem as long as I kept
adjusting the valve.

I still need to get that OG head fixed. Just one more reason to miss
Russ.  ;-(

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org