[T3] Octane

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 19:48:42 PDT 2011

In a message dated 3/19/2011 10:11:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

*This  confirms my "I know I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where"
about  fuel for my '69 Variant, MT, FI 1600.  Use 91 octane.

Is there any  fuel out there that's greater than 91?
Any reason to use a higher octane  than 91?

Gary, you find 92 and even 93 octane in different stations and different
states. I've just personally found running the better fuel keeps the engine,
and  the heads in particular a little cooler. In the US, 93 is about as high
as  you'll get, unless you get it at the race track. It really depends on
what  you're wanting to do with the car-engine combo as to whether or not you
want  really high octane. Some like to run a lot of timing to help with a
low end  spot, others like to run high compression. These are where you would
need better  fuel than 93 octane gas. Some like it because of consistency,
as it's tested  more often to ensure it's what it says on the pump.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)