[T3] Intermittent Cut out

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 21 20:27:54 PDT 2011

On 21 Mar 2011 at 13:04, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> I replaced my generator on Saturday and the red light immediately went out.
> I noticed a couple of things on the old generator that came out; it was very
> used, one of the brushes was more than halfway down into the brush holder,
> the DF connection was spotty where it connects to the generator.

Glad that seemed to fix it, but sorry you went to all that trouble
and expense, possibly just for the sake of a worn brush.

> I also replaced the fuel line at the return port on the right side of the
> motor, where it was rubbing against the shroud, and fashioned a protector
> from some used line, until I can get the rubber grommet.

Do you mean the left side? That's the side that passes thru the
shroud. If so, that's not the return side; that's the supply side.
(The gas EXITS thru the pressure regulator. In this type of system,
the regulator works by bleeding off excess gas until the pressure
drops to the required level.)

> While I was at it, I reinstalled the line from the fuel rail to the port
> under the right side of the intake air distributor, which 12 years ago when
> I bought the car from Dave Viselli, he told me to leave it
> unconnected/plugged up, because when it was connected it would flood the
> motor.

> I know that the Intake Air distributor has been replaced since I got the
> car, so I'm guessing the issue is either with the bad component under the
> IAD, or the brain itself (As Dave Implied back in 1999).  Any Thoughts on
> this?

You probably have one of several problems: It's likely that either
the FI wire that goes to the starter is on a terminal that's always
hot. (It's supposed to be on a terminal that's only hot while
starting.) And/or the wire to your temp switch is permanently
grounded.

Both will cause problems, and both should be fixed. If the starter
wire is wrong, it's not enough to just disconnect the fuel line to
the CSV. That just cures half the symptoms, but that IS the bigger
half.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org