[T3] Chasing Engine Gremlin - Popping

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 31 13:52:23 PDT 2011

On 31 Mar 2011 at 14:19, Robert Bills  wrote:

> As some of you know, I recently put a '73 Squareback back in service after
> 14 years of storage by the original owner. Stock fuel injection.

Sounds like you've got a real winner there. Good job. I recommend that you NOT
try to warm it up by just sitting and idling for 5 minutes. The best way to
warm up an engine is to actually drive it under light to moderate load. Of
course it's best to avoid full throttle until it's had a chance to warm up.
Warmup at idle runs a somewhat greater risk of excessive richness, which wears
the rings and cylinders.

I generally get in the car, start the engine, and then put on my seat belt.
This gives a few seconds for oil to reach everywhere in the engine. Then I
drive off.

You've already checked most of the obvious things, so let me suggest 2 more
things to check:

1) Twist the dist rotor CW. It should turn smoothly and freely, and snap back
quickly when you release it. If it does not, the mech advance is frozen and
this has a BIG effect on performance. If it does not, I can rebuild it if your
mechanic can't.

2) With the engine warmed up after a drive, stop and measure the battery
voltage with the engine running at medium rpm. This should be 14.1 - 14.4 V at
med rpm. If it is less than 13.5 V, your voltage regulator is worn out and this
will make the D-Jet run rich. If this is your situation, replace your VR with a
Bosch 30-019.

If it's too hard to make this measurement across the battery, you can do it at
the fuse box, where the voltages will be ~1/2 V lower, or at the generator
where they will be ~1/2 V higher.

FI problems due to worn out VRs are extremely common.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, WI USA