[T3] Chasing Engine Gremlin - Popping

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Thu Mar 31 15:37:21 PDT 2011

To me the most likely issues might be:
- sticking advance mechanism when cold
- plugged or sticking injector
Both of these problems can arise from years of disuse.
I would also spend some time setting the TVS correctly.
Glad you found a VW mechanic who "gets" D-Jet!
-Phil

From: Robert Bills    <rdbills at aol.com>
Subject: [T3] Chasing Engine Gremlin - Popping

During the last several days, the "flat spot," (slight hesitation after
shifting into 2nd), which had been very minor and easily masked by more
agressive acceleration, has degenerated into a "popping" when I try to
accelerate in 2nd.   This seems to be related to the engine operating
temperature because it happens most during the first 5-10 minutes of driving
(after the 5 or so minutes of warmup in the driveway), even on warm days.
This occurs whether it is the first start of the day, or a start after
sitting several hours in a parking lot following a cool down from a 20
minute freeway drive.   The popping almost never occurs after engine is
clearly warm (although the "slight hesitation" is still there).

The popping concerns me, but I don't have a clue where to start or where to
go from there.  What do these symptoms suggest?  Are these engines really
that cold blooded?