[T3] Swing axle Sub Frame(suspension clip)

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat May 7 06:01:54 PDT 2011

In a message dated 5/7/2011 1:28:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sawspatch at hotmail.com writes:

I went  to VW classic recycling and he didnt have the 67 anymore. but he
did have a  suitable Subframe that will work. Although It was strangely
different then the  one that came off of my car. I guess some came with an added
external support  beem that spanned the length of the tube where the torsion
bars are housed. I  saw several examples, this was also true with the I.R.S.
models as well. Im  hoping that someone might have an explanation for this
variance in subframes  (suspension clips).  ? ? ?

The reinforcing tube stopped sometime in 1969. It was mostly used on
Squarebacks, but could be found on others too. Yes, they were used on IRS models
as well. The reason for the elimination of the extra support, was cooling.
VW found that the AT needed more air flow under the car to help cool the
AT, so  they eliminated that support. If you found a sub frame with that
support,  chances are very good it came out of a Square. This means slightly
larger  torsion bars too. It will however directly interchange with the
Fastback,  Notch, and T-34 Ghia. I hope this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)