[T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Wed May 11 22:38:33 PDT 2011

At 09:15 PM 5/11/2011, you wrote:
>On 11 May 2011 at 17:13, Jim Adney wrote:
>I only come up with unlikely possibilities, like the adjuster locknuts
>not being tightened enough, or the rocker stands not being tight down
>on the heads, or the pushrods collapsing.

Hmmm. Since the adjuster locknuts and stands were tight the first
time I checked the clacking valves, and the condition then
essentially repeated itself within 20 miles, I guess that leaves the
pushrods collapsing, which we should be able to determine by
comparing the two sets. I'm going down there in the AM to powwow with
the shop and see what we can figure out.

>Where did the "tiny camera" look? If they just looked down the
>pushrod tube holes at the backside of the lifter, then that wouldn't
>be very interesting, but I don't know how they could get any kind of
>instrument inside the case to see the cam and lifter face.

Now that you mention it I'm guessing just the lifter backside, but
I'll ask in the morning.

>The 110 cam
>is fairly mild, so I would guess that it will be okay, but that will
>still depend on how far you rev the engine...One of the unsung
>"benefits" of the stock D-Jet FI is that it will
>rev limit at about 5000, which is pretty safe, especially if you have
>a counterweighted crank. However, I'm guessing that you have neither
>the stock FI nor a counterweighted crank.

I have never had this engine above 5K and generally granny it around
on city streets, but I often cruise on Socal freeways at ~4K for
extended periods of time, if that counts for high revs (?). I
unfortunately ditched the FI sometime around 1982 for my current dual
solex setup, but this engine does have a 69mm CW crankshaft.
Regarding the cam, I'm not sure if it's a 110 as all the build spec
sheet says is "Special cam grind Web-Cam". I should probably check
with the builder (Anabal Chico) to see what that means.

More soon. Thanks to all for the responses!

Dave