[T3] Lack of high beam and turn signals

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat May 14 10:01:12 PDT 2011

On 13 May 2011 at 18:53, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> Swapped the turn signal switch and it lights the high beam light all
> the time.  How do I correct this?  Other than that, does activate the
> relay but too bright to be sure the filiment is energized.

I get the impression that you're trying to randomly do things that
you think might fix the problem. This approach appears to be causing
additional problems.

Instead, use a voltmeter to trace the current path. Concentrate on
exactly ONE problem at a time. Look at your '71 wiring diagram and
follow the voltage from the source to the load. Verify that you have
voltage at each step along the way. Remember that your headlight
current flows thru the ignition switch, the fuse box, the headlight
switch and the headlight relay. When you find the spot where the
voltage no longer shows up, then you have to figure out why.

Note that the headlight voltage does NOT flow thru the TS switch. The
TS switch only controls the hi/lo relay. No matter what's happening
in the TS switch, the hi/lo relay should always be in one state or
the other (hi or lo.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org