[T3] ZDDP...again

mark witwicki witwicki at telusplanet.net
Sun May 15 14:20:33 PDT 2011

> My current hypothesis, putting everything together as best I can, is
> that I am the Pwned by Lack of ZDDP posterboy of 2011. I'm guessing
> the cam and lifters (and potentially front cam bearing) are severely
> worn...exponentially towards the front of the engine based on the
> pattern in the clearance readings.

It has been proven over and over that our flat tappet engines need ZDDP and yet there are those out there that still run the latest and greatest new and improved oils.
From the Samba to the Jalopy Journal I have seen many threads asking about ZDDP and the only oil I know of that has been tested extensively and never had a failure has been Brad Penn Racing, I run it in all three of our aircooled cars with no problems.

>  I'm thinking ZDDP lack could be the culprit, since
> this engine has been obscenely well maintained and pampered, and to
> this day has never skipped a beat.

Maybe that's the problem, you babied it too much ;o)
A good read for next time
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Of course it could be just crappy offshore parts as well causing the failure, until you crack it open we can only guess.
Good Luck
Mark