[T3] Caliper Rebuild Kits

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 17 11:53:19 PDT 2011

On 17 May 2011 at 12:38, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> I'm going to be purchasing a set of rebuilding/seal kits for some late model
> calipers.  Are there any brands to watch out for that don't work?  Are there
> any recommended places to purchase brake parts from?  I picked up a set of
> ATE late model calipers and want to freshen them up since the seals look a
> little rough.

I've bought kits from many different makers and they all seem fine.
Ate are OE and FAG is another good German supplier, but there are
other sources out there which are cheaper. Sometimes the more
expensive kits contain some additional parts.

If you've never done this before, you may be in for a surprise. It
can be quite difficult to get the pistons out; that's why I made
special tools to do this job. If you decide to just replace the
boots, that's easy, but the real work is farther inside and that's
the part that usually needs to be done, because the problem that
always comes up is that the pistons get frozen in their bores.

Don't take the caliper halves apart. That doesn't get you anywhere
and just makes the job harder.

I charge $45 per caliper to do this job, and that's a bargain. Good
luck, but keep me in mind if this gets too frustrating.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org