[T3] A new T-34 owner?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 20 06:38:58 PDT 2011

On 20 May 2011 at 8:09, John Jaranson wrote:

> Started attending to my punch list on Jill's Ghia.  Didn't have a lot
> of time yesterday, so I just did a few things. I think I added more to
> the list than I took off.  :) .  Here is the list so far, in no
> particular order....

Looks like a pretty nice car, but even the best of them need a touch
of TLC.

> 2. Get lights working (4 fuses missing, but when installed the lights
> are all screwed up...going to have to get out the wire diagram and
> figure out what is going on....I hate electrical issues.)

Sorry I won't be there to help.

> 4. Put proper 90 degree ends on plug wires
> 5. Properly route plug wires.

Do you have the right ends? How about wire?

> 10. Fix LH window channel felt

Surprising that this would be wrong, or is it just slipping in the
channel.

> 13. Relocate fuel filter from on top of engine
> 14. Replace all soft fuel lines
> 15. Mount fire extinguisher

It's probably okay to leave the filter on top of the engine (unless
you just don't like the look) just make sure it doesn't exert any
drag on the lines to the carbs. Replacing the rubber lines is
probably a really good idea; are they hard?

Where will you put the FE?

> 20. Replace 20+ year old battery

Now THAT's an old battery. Since it worked to test your lights, it
might actually be usable, and its age might mean that it's of better
quality than a new one you might buy today. Try giving it a long slow
charge: 50-100 mA for a week or 2.

> 31. Replace 009 distributor with Type 3 dizzy

> I have a 71 FI distributor that I am planning to use for this.  Good choice?

I'd look for a '67 dist, because it will be lower and it will have
the right advance curve to work with the (stock Solex?) carbs. If you
use the '71 FI dist, you have to make sure the mech adv is working
and you should not connect the vac adv, as the curves run in reverse
of each other.

Sounds like a fun day. Enjoy yourself!   ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org