[T3] A new T-34 owner?

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Fri May 20 07:32:35 PDT 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Jim Adney wrote:

>> 4. Put proper 90 degree ends on plug wires
>> 5. Properly route plug wires.
>
> Do you have the right ends? How about wire?

I have the correct ends from another parts engine.  Will probably just swap the wires completely from that one to the Ghia engine.

>> 10. Fix LH window channel felt
>
> Surprising that this would be wrong, or is it just slipping in the
> channel.

It is the right channel.  It is just in two pieces (probably broke during the restoration) and the upper one fell out.

>> 13. Relocate fuel filter from on top of engine
>> 14. Replace all soft fuel lines
>> 15. Mount fire extinguisher
>
> It's probably okay to leave the filter on top of the engine (unless
> you just don't like the look) just make sure it doesn't exert any
> drag on the lines to the carbs. Replacing the rubber lines is
> probably a really good idea; are they hard?
>
> Where will you put the FE?

I just don't like the filter and extra connects on the top of the engine.  Will put it along side the trans like I have on Sophy.  THe lines are the cloth covered ones and I do not know how old....figured it was cheap and easy insurance

Fire extinguisher will be mounted inside...probably on the accessory parcel tray near the driver's door.

>> 20. Replace 20+ year old battery
>
> Now THAT's an old battery. Since it worked to test your lights, it
> might actually be usable, and its age might mean that it's of better
> quality than a new one you might buy today. Try giving it a long slow
> charge: 50-100 mA for a week or 2.

Battery was dead when the car got up here.  It had taken enough of a charge at one point for the driver to load it onto his trailer.  I had to jump it to get it into the driveway.  It was good for two more starts and then wouldn't turn it over and the lights were dim a few hours later.  Already bought the replacement.

>> 31. Replace 009 distributor with Type 3 dizzy
>
>> I have a 71 FI distributor that I am planning to use for this.  Good choice?
>
> I'd look for a '67 dist, because it will be lower and it will have
> the right advance curve to work with the (stock Solex?) carbs. If you
> use the '71 FI dist, you have to make sure the mech adv is working
> and you should not connect the vac adv, as the curves run in reverse
> of each other.

Maybe I will just swap the wires for now.  Seemed to run pretty good with the 009 and I will look for the proper dizzy this weekend at the show.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com