[T3] Wheel issues

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 15:36:12 PDT 2011

  I have a set of old Superior Volksmag "turtleback" wheels that have
been sitting in my garage for years; I just put new tires on them and
was planning on putting them on my '68 squareback. I was told I could
NOT use the lug bolts from the original steels wheels, and that I
needed to convert to studs and nuts with washers, which I have done.
However, now I have absolutely no clue how to mount the wheel
properly. The bolt holes in these wheels are flat around the edges,
no concave shape or cupping. The studs are SO much smaller than the
bolt holes, how in the world are you supposed to get the wheel
properly centered on the studs????? I've put alloy wheels on these
cars a million times, and it seems like I always used regular VW lug
bolts, possibly longer than original. Now suddenly everyone is
telling me that's "dangerous". Please help, my car is sitting in the
driveway with no wheels, and I am totally clueless.
   Thanks,
   Jimmy