[T3] Wheel issues

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat May 21 22:48:56 PDT 2011

On 21 May 2011 at 15:36, James Lingenfelter wrote:

>  I was told I could  NOT use the lug bolts from the original steels
> wheels, and that I  needed to convert to studs and nuts with washers,
> which I have done.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the lug bolt concept, it's just
that you must have exactly the right length of bolt, at least on drum
brake wheels.

If the bolt is too short it will not have full thread engagement and
it will tear out. I've seen this happen

If the bolt is too long it will stick inside the drum and tear up
your brake parts.

Finding the right length can be difficult, but bolts that are too
long can be shortened. Don't be tempted to use bolts that don't fully
engage the threads in the hub.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org