[T3] Turn Signal

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 25 15:16:14 PDT 2011

On 25 May 2011 at 11:05, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> This brings up a point I was wondering if anyone could clarify.  I too have
> a 71 switch and knowing about its rarity, I want to do all I can to increase
> its life.
>
> One thing I do often is use the "lane change" feature of the switch when
> turning and let go right before making the turn (as long as it wont
> jeopardize my safety).  I also click the switch back before the auto-return
> does it.  I do those things hoping that I'm reducing wear and tear.  Am I
> just dreaming, or does this possibly help?  I have never asked but now seems
> like a good time!
>
> I've also applied a thin layer of grease to the horn ring contacts.

A bit of grease there is a good thing. You could also take off the
steering wheel and rub some light grease into the spaces under the
serpentine spring.

In my experience, these don't tend to wear out, they get suddenly
damaged the following ways:

1) the horn contact on the switch and on the back of the steering
wheel wear until they lock up in the middle of a turn and you listen
to a crunching, grinding sound as you grit your teeth, finish the
turn, and destroy the contacts. I suspect that I could repair this
kind of damage if the switch gets removed quickly, before more damage
is done by the broken off contact parts.

This is partly a design problem. Both contacts are brass, so they
tend to wear into one another. I've toyed with soldering a piece of
thin shim stainless steel on top of the TS switch contact spring.
That would never wear out, and it should also not wear the other
brass part. This is one of those places where dissimilar metals would
be a good thing.

2) For fun, artistry, or in a thoughtless moment, you drape some
small string, necklace, etc. over the steering column. After weeks of
being well behaved, it gets pushed in the wrong direction, falls down
that slot, and gets caught in the switch innards as you're turning
the wheel. The extent of this damage can vary and may be repairable.

3) You let your 4 year old son stand on the driver's seat and pretend
to drive. He yanks on everything in sight, imitating Dad. Next time
you drive the car you find the TS lever limp or broken off. This
damage can't be repaired. It sounds like something like this happened
to both Adriel and Ken.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org