[T3] FW: Progress Thanks to P.A.

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue May 31 17:36:01 PDT 2011

In a message dated 5/31/2011 6:18:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

The  idiot lights have to have a 12V supply when the ignition is on.   Maybe
that's the problem.  They are not grounded in the cluster at  all, but by
the
various circuits.

The oil pressure switch simply  grounds that bulb when the pressure is low,
the ignition warning light (low  voltage/not charging) simply gets grounded
when there's no charge to oppose  the 12V that should be on it when the
ignition is on.  The same power  lead is used to light the flasher
indicators
when the switch is on left or  right (either one lights BOTH bulbs) when the
flasher relay is off to the  flasher bulbs themselves.  The flasher idiot
lights ground through the  flasher lamps themselves.  That's why the main
bulbs flash opposite to  the idiot ones.

I won't say that all three faults will be cured, but it  sounds as if you've
not got the 12V supply to the idiot light/fuel gauge  cluster from the
ignition fuse (ie only hot when ignition is on).  It  is carried by the
BLACK
wire into the back of the cluster.  I've sent  you a photo by separate
email.

This was my thought as well (both the ground issue, and no power). I  think
Jim was trying to say the same thing, when he suggested looking at the
72-73 wiring diagram in the Bentley. My thought was like yours though, that the
 idiot lights were passing the ground thru their circuits, when he's trying
to  either use the TS, or dash lights.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)