[T3] FW: Progress Thanks to P.A.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue May 31 15:15:33 PDT 2011

The idiot lights have to have a 12V supply when the ignition is on.  Maybe
that's the problem.  They are not grounded in the cluster at all, but by the
various circuits.

The oil pressure switch simply grounds that bulb when the pressure is low,
the ignition warning light (low voltage/not charging) simply gets grounded
when there's no charge to oppose the 12V that should be on it when the
ignition is on.  The same power lead is used to light the flasher indicators
when the switch is on left or right (either one lights BOTH bulbs) when the
flasher relay is off to the flasher bulbs themselves.  The flasher idiot
lights ground through the flasher lamps themselves.  That's why the main
bulbs flash opposite to the idiot ones.

I won't say that all three faults will be cured, but it sounds as if you've
not got the 12V supply to the idiot light/fuel gauge cluster from the
ignition fuse (ie only hot when ignition is on).  It is carried by the BLACK
wire into the back of the cluster.  I've sent you a photo by separate email.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club