[T3] FW: Progress Thanks to P.A.

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 20:39:30 PDT 2011

> From: dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:15:33 +0100
> Subject: [T3] FW: Progress Thanks to P.A.
>
> The idiot lights have to have a 12V supply when the ignition is on. Maybe
> that's the problem. They are not grounded in the cluster at all, but by the
> various circuits.
>
> The oil pressure switch simply grounds that bulb when the pressure is low,
> the ignition warning light (low voltage/not charging) simply gets grounded
> when there's no charge to oppose the 12V that should be on it when the
> ignition is on. The same power lead is used to light the flasher indicators
> when the switch is on left or right (either one lights BOTH bulbs) when the
> flasher relay is off to the flasher bulbs themselves. The flasher idiot
> lights ground through the flasher lamps themselves. That's why the main
> bulbs flash opposite to the idiot ones.

I tried reconnecting power (leave it disconnected so as not to stain it with
the fuse box hanging) thinking that might help, but it did not.  Glad to get
an answer for the idiot circuits.  I bent out the mounting tabs and wiggled the
gauge, eliminated its ground, grounded the body best I could, and still no
difference.  I am really ticked at this whole wiring thing, and ready to start
ripping it all out, but know better. ;)

Now thanks to you, I can maybe just rewire something new and see if that works.
Been even thinking of a way to make my own turn signal switches.  But, hoping
you all come up with an answer before I get creative. ;)

The indicator, gas gauge, and idiot lights all flash together so long as there
is power to emergency flasher switch or relay.  Trouble is, that also eliminates
turn signal indicators.  Makes for an interesting show though, but not sure how
I am to avoid running out of fuel! ;O

> I won't say that all three faults will be cured, but it sounds as if you've
> not got the 12V supply to the idiot light/fuel gauge cluster from the
> ignition fuse (ie only hot when ignition is on). It is carried by the BLACK
> wire into the back of the cluster. I've sent you a photo by separate email.

It is hot with ignition: that is why the cluster flashes with it on, but not off.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel