[T3] clacking valves mystery update

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Fri May 13 03:09:16 PDT 2011

Many thanks for the responses. Coincidentally when I was about to
walk in the door to the shop Jim's list of potential valve clearance
growth issues just came in on my phone, so we went over it and the
other list responses together. Using Jim's list as reference, at this
point it seems #3 and #4 could be the culprits (cam surfaces have
ground down, or  lifters faces have ground down), as the adjusters
and rocker stands were tight, the rocker shafts are not worn, and the
valves and seats on cyls 3 and 4 looked perfect when they pulled the head.

Before continuing with more details, the current status is as
follows: they swapped the EMPI rods for the Scat rods, inspected what
they could of the lifters, test drove on the freeway, and then
rechecked the valves this morning. Apparently the clearance stayed
the same, so I drove it straight home from the shop and will check
the clearance again tomorrow AM when it's dead cold. In short, they
are stumped as to what is going on, but very helpful and themselves
interested... alas the mystery remains!

Regarding the pushrods, the original set that was installed with the
1776 build was in fact steel, stock length, and thus it was a steel
rod that bent (!) on the #3 cyl. The EMPI pushrod set the shop
replaced the originals with (and just traded for the Scat set) looks
almost exactly the same length when we compared the sets, and
although I didn't see the Scat set that is now installed, they were
apparently also the same length. The EMPI rods didn't mushroom or
shrink, so I'm doubting the pushrods are the immediate culprit of the
bizarre clearance issue. With that said, since it's a 1776 with stock
pushrods I've got potential geometry problems in the back of my mind now.

Re. the lifters, they were inspected with a lighted magnifier gadget
(for lack of better terms, sorry) not a tiny cam as I thought. In
looking at the outside #1 valve lifter closely again, it seems the
hole at the seat has been worn so it looks oval rather than round.
Severe wear here might explain the position of that valve adjustment
screw, which is still almost flush with the locknut to measure .004
gap. The bent steel outside #3 pushrod that caused the tube leak (and
hence began this strange sequence) opposes that outside #1 valve, so
now I've got a potential conjunction in the back of my mind as well.
Having no concept how a steel rod could be bent, I don't know what
the relationship could be (if any).

Just to go over the entire sequence in sum:
1) Outside #3 pushrod tube leak leads to discovery of bent steel pushrod.
2) Engine is pulled and head is removed to replace pushrod tube and
view expected valve/seat damage... no damage found. Bent pushrod is a mystery.
3) Reinstalled engine gets new set of EMPI steel pushrods all around.
4) Oil and full-flow filter are changed (I didn't mention this
before, but I have had Castrol 10w-30 in it the entire ~35K miles,
but they put Castrol 20W/50 in. Pressure hasn't changed on the gauge,
and temps are the same. Relevant?)
5) Car is test-driven, valves readjusted.
6) I drive ~30 miles, idle increases to 1500rpm, valves begin
clacking like hell, strange smelling exhaust fumes. I discover
stunningly huge gaps and adjust down to .004 all around. Arms and
adj. nuts are tight.
7) I drive another ~20 miles, check valves again. #1 outside is as
loose as before, taking up almost all of adjustment screw to get it
to .004 again. Others are out at ~.013, so I adjust those again (and
get really paranoid :).
8) Return it to shop, were they did the "current status" work
described above, but we do not figure out what any of this has been
caused by, and are in "wait and see" mode... not comforting.

Re. ZDDP, unless it has been in my Castrol 10W-30 (or the 20W-50 they
just put in) this engine has never seen any. This is another issue I
will be keeping in mind.

Re. studs pulling, the head was apparently tight when they removed
it, but I'll inquire again.

Thanks again all! I'll report back soon with the next valve clearance
readings... which I'm looking forward to and dreading simultaneously.

Dave