[T3] ZDDP...again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 16 15:40:36 PDT 2011

On 16 May 2011 at 14:53, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> 20w-50 is $5.85/qt.
> Straight 30 is $6.50/qt.
>
> I think I'll just special-order the straight 30.  For as little oil as the
> car uses, I don't find the price too offensive.

That's what I'd do, too. I don't like the idea of extra thick oils. I
think that's just following the philosophy of, "If some is good, more
is better," which is clearly wrong.

It's also clearly true that lots of VW people do this, but that
doesn't make it the right thing to do. You waste a lot of power
pumping extra thick oil around inside the engine, and it takes longer
for the oil to get to it's destination when you first start up in the
morning.

Frankly, I think it's a last ditch solution for an engine that's
almost completely worn out. For an engine that's in halfway decent
condition or better, I think it's counterproductive.

The price structure seems reversed, but that may just be because he's
just ordering a single case for you. You might do better if you
bought 2 or more cases. Perhaps you could share an order with some
other Type 3 people in your area.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org