[T3] Leak Down Test and Rich Running

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Nov 6 16:01:13 PST 2011

On 6 Nov 2011 at 2:26, Jeremy Menzies wrote:

> That's odd that my email came out all scrunched together on the other end.  When I composed it, I put line breaks in between each paragraph/section.  Hmm... Maybe I'l have to try double spacing.

Right, double-spacing to separate the paragraphs, as you did here, is
the key.  ;-)

> Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions thus far.  I did replace the plug
> wires in July but I will recheck the resistance on all of them.  That
> would be interesting if the #2 wire was higher than the others in the
> set.

They don't have to be matched, but they should each be about 1000
Ohms, +/- 20%.

> I'll have to check out the rockers, too and compare them.  Are there
> values I should be looking for, similar to the way the valves have a
> set clearance?  Or should they just match or be close to the other
> cylinders?  That's not something I've checked before, so I'm just not
> sure what I'm looking for.

You should be able to eyeball it. Lay a straightedge across the
rockers when one is fully depressed and take a good look at how much
space is above that one, then compare with a different one. Note that
the intake and exhaust lifts are different.

The suggestion to listen during the leakdown test was a good one. If
you can find out what's leaking, that will get you started on what
needs to be fixed. It could be rings, an intake or exhaust valve, or
a loose head. The latter is probably the most likely.

You could remove the rocker shaft and check the torque on the 4 lower
head nuts. Don't be tempted to tighten them more than the spec. If
one or more just turns without tightening up, you've found your
problem: The stud is pulling out of the case. It's not a nice option,
but it can be fixed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org