[T3] Question about door handle key set

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 12 08:10:50 PST 2011

On 12 Nov 2011 at 12:47, Dave Hall wrote:

> You want the straight trigger rather than the wiggly one they used
> (from '73?).

The 2-finger trigger started in '72. It superceeds the early one, so
that's what you'll get if you buy a complete assy. at the dealer.
They are nice, but it won't be "right" and it will come with a non-
matching key set. ;-(

Making up matching sets of handles and lock cylinders is something
else I can do here. The problem comes up often since it seems like
the LH door handles fairly often get replaced because something gets
worn out or broken. If your Type 3 takes more than one key, then
something has been replaced with a non-matching part. The ignition
cylinders and squareback rear door cylinders are really hard to re-
key, so it's best if those still match and then the doors can be
matched to them.

> Make sure the thin plastic washer that goes round the cylinder is there
> and in reasonable condition; it helps stop water getting in.

I've bought replacements for that seal from the dealer, but I don't
know if they're still available. At least in my climate, they take a
beating and are often shredded.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org