[T3] Question about door handle key set

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 16:30:27 PST 2011

Those bent protrusions control the locking and unlocking when the key is
turned.  The key only fits one way round in the lock (the two edges have
different cut patterns and the profile grooves are asymmetric to match).  I
can't recall if they both are angled up and towards the back of the door,
but they both have to be angled in the same sense to the locking rod, so
they pull the rod down and push it up, depending on which way the key is
turned.  It is different for the two sides - eg key turned clockwise to
unlock right door, and counter-clockwise to unlock left door.

205F fits the left side and 206F the right (usual part number rule, even for
right side and odd for left side, if they are handed).

On the subject of matching the tumblers in the locks to use the same key,
there's a webpage on our club site www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/lockpart.htm that
shows you how.  You may need one or two spare lock barrels to give you the
tumblers you need.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club