[T3] Question about door handle key set

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 12 19:51:46 PST 2011

On 13 Nov 2011 at 0:30, Dave Hall wrote:

> I can't recall if they both are angled up and towards the back of the
> door, but they both have to be angled in the same sense to the locking
> rod, so they pull the rod down and push it up, depending on which way
> the key is turned.  It is different for the two sides - eg key turned
> clockwise to unlock right door, and counter-clockwise to unlock left
> door.

That's correct, but the odd thing is that if the parts that are
internal to the door had been designed slightly differently, the lock
pins would not have needed the offset. The offset was there only
because the slot, which the pin engages in the internal door part,
was slightly too high (or too low, I don't remember which it was
either.)

I checked to see if they were possibly trying to use the earlier
internal lock parts, but those also changed starting in '68. So these
parts were all newly designed to work together starting in '68.

Who could have guessed that such a simple topic could lead to such a
long discussion...?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org