[T3] Accelerator Cable Install

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 29 13:50:06 PST 2011

On 29 Nov 2011 at 12:49, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> All the clutch cable messages reminded me to ask:
>
> I lightly greased my new accelerator cable when I installed it.  When I
> hooked it up to my dual carb linkage, it seems to bind somewhere and the
> carb springs just cant pull it back to idle and the pedal stays
> depressed.  I can move the cable coming out of the tunnel at the front
> end by hand, but it's hanging up somewhere with just enough resistance
> over the carb throttle springs to cause a problem.
>
> The tube from pan to tin is installed and the carb linkage is aligned
> properly so that the cable isn't binding on the linkage pull arm.
>
> Are they're any tricks to installing these for smooth operation?  Maybe
> I need a lot more grease?

There are 2 things to be careful of. Both involve the Bowden tube the
cable runs inside, between the body and the engine, alongside the
tranny.

1) At the front of the Bowden tube there is a metal sleeve on the
Bowden tube that must slip OVER the tube that exits the body and
aligns the 2 tubes.

2) At the rear of the Bowden tube, make sure that tube slips inside
the tube that's part of the engine breast plate. Again, that
preserves alignment.

It's easy to assume those parts will just self align, but they won't.
Extra grease won't help. The grease helps friction a little but is
most helpful to prevent corrosion.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org