[T3] repair manual for Brazilian four-door 1600 TL 4?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 18:53:45 PST 2011

In a message dated 11/29/2011 8:09:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

The  Brazilian 1600TL was a Fastback shape, but a quite different front end.
The  3-box saloon with 4 doors was originally designed to replace the
Beetle,
but as an entry level car, its 1200cc engine wasn't adequate.   Quite a
number were made in Brazil however and were popular as Taxis.   The later
versions had a front end similar to a Type 4.

The  Fastback types were quite sporty-looking in their way.

Some  photos here:-
http://www.restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14715&highlight=&sid=0dcb0b2d
53772f2bc2426e4580a987dc

Search  on Images on Google with VW1600TL Brazil and there are quite a few
found  (some are just 'our' Type 3s).

I believe the cars were something of a  hybrid between Type 1 and Type 3, so
I expect that a manual for each model  would cover most things.  No doubt
there are manuals, but almost  certainly they would be in Portugese, not
English.

Among the later  Brazilian VWs, they made a Gol, which was a Mk 1 Golf
(Rabbit) with a front  mounted air-cooled engine!  I saw one in England
maybe
20 years ago -  astonishing!

Over on the Samba is a gentleman from Israel who is rebuilding a 2 door
version. The body looks like an early t-4, but with a t-3 engine, t-14 ghia
floor pans, and t-1 front suspension, with a swing axle rear set up.  :O It's
hard to say exactly what manual one would need for these cars, as  they are
a mix of all types it seems.

As for the Gol, it latter became the Fox in the USA. I used to have 1, and
thought putting an upright bug engine in it would be a natural. Then I got
Simon  Glenn's book, and found out that was what they originally had. : )

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)