[T3] Clutch question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 19:09:23 PST 2011

In a message dated 11/29/2011 6:10:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

That can  often be a bad sign. Restorations are often a cosmetic
project, because  that's what the owner is aware of, so the little
details that make the car  good or bad get ignored because they are
deemed irrelevant. They only come  back to haunt you later on.

Take a look at NotchBob's epic restoration  of his Type 34, Wolfie.
The posts at the Samba are going on 61 pages of  careful, thorough,
painstaking effort. No one but Jay Leno could afford to  pay someone
else to do this kind of work.

While I appreciate the kind words, there are several others who are doing
restorations as deep as my own. Brent's comes to mind, as he's really going
thru  it, and detailing it as he goes. Plus, he's doing it to 1 of the most
unusual  models of the t-3 line... a Fastback. : )

But yes, most cars only get superficial body repairs, and some mechanical
work, then are sold off.

In my case, I ended digging deeper than I originally wanted, but it was
also a case of just digging a little more since I was that deep into it (best
time to do so). I was mainly trying to get rid of the rust it had, and it
had  rust in the not normal places, along with the normal spots. Sitting
outside in a  field for 25 years didn't help it either (since small animals were
trying to  make it home). I am gaining on it though, it's painted, has it's
glass back  in,  it does run on it's own, stops, and most of the electrical
system  works like it's supposed to (still have things like the horn and a
couple of  lights to fix). Still have the inside to finish up, get 4 tires
on it, and it'll  be ready to go to Colorado. : )

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)