[T3] Gas Leak?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 5 11:05:59 PDT 2011

On 5 Oct 2011 at 10:34, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> *Funny  that you posted the "Gas Leak" info, since I recently called you
> (and you looked for) about a Fuel Pump gas leak that I have on my '69
> Variant.

Yes, you and I both had gas leaks in the same area at the same time. I think
mine was easier to fix. (At least I HOPE it's fixed.)

> *BTW, while I was looking around for leak possibilities, I checked my
> replacement overflow hose bits. I was very pleased to find that they
> were all intact and that the hose was still quite flexible and in
> much better shape than an OE part would have been at this age. It's
> been in there for 2 or 3 years and shows no signs of age.
>
> *Question.
> Was the Replacement Overflow Hose the "kit" that you sell?

Yes.

> Another interesting "fact?" that I learned from a long-time VW mechanic and
> collector.  He said VW, when they built our Type 3's, stuffed a piece of
> foam rubber/cellulose in the upper, rear corner of the front fenders, where
> the fender is bolted to the body.  It's near the lower edge of the
> windshield.
>
> Does anyone, with an original Type 3, know if this is true?  My 4 fenders
> were replaced in 1986 when we did a partial resto.

Yes, it's true. They were little foam cubes, and I probably have one stashed
away somewhere. They originally came soaked with some sort of waxy sealant/rust
preventative, but over time that stuff leached out leaving a sponge that held
water and promoted rust.

If you have them, it's best to tear them out of there, at least as much as you
can.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org