[T3] Headliner install guy

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 13 10:48:14 PDT 2011

On 13 Oct 2011 at 9:25, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Anyone in the Portland, OR area know someone that could install a headliner
> in a Type 3?  I have a '71 Fastback and the tiny tear I used to have got a
> LOT bigger recently.  It's not going to be long before I have to do
> something about it.
>
> Looking for referrals on folks in this region that are skilled in putting
> headliners in our cars.  I have a line on ordering one, that's shouldn't be
> a problem.

Not to be a wet blanket, but the one headliner I installed was a big
job and didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. To do it
right, you have to take ALL the windows out (except the door windows)
and adjust everything until you get all the wrinkles out. In my case,
I never got it right, and I think a lot of that had to do with the
fact that the replacement I got was not sewn like the original. I
think the OE headliner seams are not all straight; they have some
curve in them to help fit the car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org