[T3] The new E Regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Oct 14 21:57:43 PDT 2011

On 14 Oct 2011 at 22:39, Keith Park wrote:

> I might have opened my mouth too soon. this morning I started the Square and
> the generator light was glowing, as I revved it a little it would get dimmer
> but with 25W50 I wasn't going to rev it cold.  After a couple minutes it got
> dimmer and finally went out.

After thinking about this a bit, I realized that these are the
symptoms of the cutout relay contacts (in the VR) becoming resistive,
or of the generator not coming up properly in voltage.

The charging light is across those points, so if the light is bright,
the contacts are open and if the light is out, the contacts are
closed. If the light is dim, the contacts are partly conducting (a
sign of burned contacts) or the contacts are open but the generator
is putting out much less than 12 V.

I'd start by checking out the generator. Full field it to make sure
it is fully functional. If the generator is okay, then look at the
VR.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org