[T3] Undervoat question

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Oct 29 20:00:03 PDT 2011

The late fenders got undercoat, and when it cracked, especially along the
back seam the salt got in and they rotted real bad, worse than the un
undercoated ones.

I strip or sandblast the fenders (careful sandblasting the sheetmetal)and
then use POR 15 with a 3M undercoat over that, the POR 15 is a nice tough
coat and lasts well as long as you don't actually paint it over any rust
(ironicially!)and the undercoat keeps gravel and such from chipping it
anyway.  I also rest the fender on its back edge and apply roofing tar to
the back seam, just enough to seal it AFTER the POR 15 and then undercoat
over the whole shebang.

The real problem is making sure you get ALL of the rust out of that seam on
used fenders, your never going to get 100% but if you make sure water cant
get back in there then your OK.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com