[T3] Invasion shake down

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 17:31:58 PDT 2011

Well Im back from Richmond, the 1200 mile shakedown run for the invasion in
June.  I think the car is ready, its running great now with its new
Regulator and im getting about 26MPG at 70MPH  if Im not stuck in traffic or
bucking a head wind, probably the best Im gonna do with 10% ethanol.

I did have an issue coming back, the tack would twitch from time to time.
first indication of an ignition problem.  Then the Cruise started to get
knocked off more often, then constantly after which I noticed some missing
under load.  Finally it really started to miss all the time so the next exit
turned into mine and I got off to look things over.   Turns out the jumpers
I had on to jump out the Mark 10 had a crimp fail, they were only supposed
to be temporary and they've been hanging there for quite some time so Im not
surprised but another example of how those generic crimpers don't make a
crimp that is going to last for a long time, especially when there is
vibration involved.  I pulled the remaining strand or two right out and
clipped them together and walla!  All was set!

I did have a bullseye to the windshield on one of the many sloppy
construction zones in Maryland, and after taking such an ordeal to get that
windshield in there not long ago I was rather peeved, but I tried their
"repair" method and it got rid of about 80% of it, looks like a smooshed
small fly now.  If you get a ding or crack, make sure it stays clean and dry
till they can try and repair it, don't use windshield washers (some of the
stuff contains rainX these days) and stick a piece of scotch tape over it
till they can use their resin, that way you get the best repair.

I think its ready for the trip to the invasion..  125K on that engine now
but its still going strong.  I did tail a 911 for about 20 miles and held it
at 80, oil temps went up about 20 degrees probably due to blow-by from the
old engine but at 70 it seems quite happy.